|Click for Larger Version|
Ouji to Majo to Himegimi to - Mini Apple Pies
Makes Approx. 10 pieces, 5 sq. cm each
- 1 or 2 Apples
- 3 tablespoons of Sugar
- A splash of Lemon Juice
- 2 Pre-made Pie Crust Sheets (Any brand or home-made is fine, should be ~200 grams)
- Beaten Egg, as needed
1. Cut the apples into wedges, then remove the peel and core and cut them into roughly 6 millimeter cubes.
2. Mix the apples from step 1 with the sugar and lemon juice, and microwave at 600 watts for 3 minutes, uncovered, in a heat resistant bowl. Mix, and microwave again for another 3 minutes. Let the mixture cool.
3. Cut 10 apple shapes from each of the pie crust sheets (=20) and use the remaining dough to make leaves. (TN: It would be good if you had cookie cutters, the recipe doesn't give any suggestions about how to make the apple shape and the leaf shape.)
4. Spoon the mixture from step 2 onto the center of 10 of the pie-crust apple shapes from step 3, brush a bit of beaten egg around the edges, and cover with the remaining 10 pie-crust apple shapes. Press a fork around the edges of each mini pie, sealing the top and bottom sheets together.
5. Brush the surface of each pie with beaten egg, and attach the dough "leaves" if you made them.
6. Line the finished pies up on a cookie sheet lined with a cooking sheet* and bake in a 200 C / 392 F oven for approx. 12-15 minutes. (TN: The recipe refers to a silicone baking sheet which are popular in Japan now, but you can just use aluminum foil, or grease the cookie sheet.)
Let me know if you like this kind of post and I'll try to do more. Also, if you come across any cute recipes like this (they appear rarely in manga magazines, but this is the first one I've seen in a while) please consider scanning them and sending them to me!