Tuesday, October 4, 2016

[Announcement] The END

It's been a long time without any sign of life on this blog. Not for the first time, but it is the last time. As many of you have probably guessed, I have officially quit scanlation, for good. I'll explain some of the reasons below, in case you're curious, but that's basically the only main point of this post, so feel free to stop reading now if you aren't interested in the reasons why. 

This will be the last post on this blog, but I will be continuing my personal blog, so if you're interested in reading about my life in Japan, marriage to a Japanese man, experiences as a freelance translator, and other random things I may write about, please check it out.

1. The main reason I'm quitting scanlation, for good, is because 8 months ago I got my first paid translation job, and since then I've been working fairly steadily on a variety of freelance paid translation projects. Some of these are one-time translation projects that I've stumbled upon through networking (someone I know knows someone who needs something translated and they introduce us) and others are large scale translation companies that manage a large number of freelance translators and funnel work to us that they have received from a number of clients. My main field of work is translating video games, but I've also done business documents, legal documents and even historical documents. Continuing to scan and upload manga (blatantly illegal) or share translations of manga and novels without the copyright-holder's permission (questionably legal at best, even if the manga/novel isn't licensed in English) would jeopardize my career. I hope to one day have enough contacts and steady work flow to be able to work from home while raising kids.

2. My mediafire account was once again reported and all of my files were deleted. This is the 3rd time this has happened. I have been trying to go through and re-upload files and replace the download links, but I never get even halfway through before my accounts are suspended again and I lose all my hard work. 

3. You may have noticed the change in the content on my blog in the past few years. When I lived in the US, I mostly posted scanlations and novel translations. I had a lot of free time with the job I was doing back then, and used it to translate and to edit manga/novels I enjoyed so that others could enjoy them too. I was still learning Japanese at this point, and although my translations weren't great in the beginning, it helped me a lot to improve my Japanese reading ability and master tons of new words, phrases, grammar patterns, etc. When I moved to Japan, I suddenly had a lot less time to devote to scanlation/translation, but a lot more access to RAW manga quickly and inexpensively, so I changed almost exclusively to scanning and uploading RAW manga and some novels. I think in both situations I was making the best use of the time and resources I had in the situation I was in. Unfortunately, I don't have time to READ any of the manga I was paying for then destroying to scan for this blog, and I lost almost all enjoyment I had for it.

That's about it. I am very grateful to everyone who visited this blog and downloaded my scans and translations over the years. I made some amazing friends through scanlation that I still speak to today (when I have time!) and will probably consider friends for life. I hope some of you can continue to read my other blog and enjoy the craziness that is life in Japan along with me. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the scanlations you did. and I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats for moving on, getting paid for ur hardworks is great
    :D
    thanks for all those efforts by scanning and translating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks for the congrats :D

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for all scanlations you've done and the RAW mangas you share with us for years ^^

    Wish you all the best with your job and your new life in Japan ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ica, thank you so much for all your hard work over the years! I remember always waiting for your Love So Life raws and summaries a few years ago when I was still relatively interested in the series. It's hard to imagine that LSL has long finished and we are all gradually moving on with our lives.

    Congratulations on your exciting new job! I wish you the best with all your endeavors ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.